Roots Vs Myths

On My Ancestor Home Visit Report

_________________________________________________________




Ancestors Home Visit from 5th September to 10 September 2014 Hainan Island

Translate 

The Purpose of Clan Association in Todays’ Era Singapore!

As a first generation Singaporean born, I have the privilege of being invited to join Hainan Goh Clan Association Singapore many years ago. The association organise a rare visit to participating members’ ancestors at our own cost and request. This is an eye-opener for me because I am born in Singapore. I have only heard my father talk about our ancestor home back in Hainan where there is a Lychee tree just next to our ancestor house.

As my father aged, he does not want to go back to Hainan ancestor house visit because of his movement inconvenience and health reason. As I thought I would never get the chance to visit my ancestor home there because of my weak linkage in Hainan and my limited Hainan language ability as it will post a major problem to me.

Luckily, our clan’s brothers are warmed and big hearted, they took up the task to arrange a visit to my ancestor home and help to manage and co-ordinate the logistics and provide the necessary support to communicate effectively with my relatives on my ancestor home location.

This visit, I think is a meaningful one especially important in today’s era of clan purpose and existence in todays’ modern Singapore. This is in fact the exact opposite of the function of clan when our ancestors come to Singapore to make a living and seek the help of clan for protection and shelter and guidance when the first landed in a new place where they do not have any friends to ask for help in Singapore.

As old members passes on, less and less new younger members join in. The knowledge and culture of our Hainan clan may fear one day loss and forgotten, likewise our roots and linkage to ancestors in China.

I have a few friends who are second or third generation Singaporeans, they wanted to visit their ancestors home back in China. Due to their poor linkage to their own clan associations in Singapore. They do not know where their ancestors’ home are as they do not follow their parents when their parents went back ancestor home visit. The ties between their ancestors’ relatives and them drift further as time passes on until the linkage is broken. It may be too late by then as the new generations do not join clan and there is no successor to handle over the “baton” of leading the way for continuity thereafter for the visit.

This trip is not only allowed me to get the chance to see my ancestor home in China, but also foster and deepened our brotherhood relationship and understanding of each other better during the trip.

For our brothers and sisters who joined or wanting or have yet join our clan, I would strongly encourage to participate actively in our activity looking forward. This may open up a new horizon for you and make life a meaningful one for you as We Only Live Once!

Getting to know where your ancestor come from is more meaningful and proud as this make you understand yourself better when ask. This is also because without our ancestor, we will also not be here in Singapore today.

Ultimately, you can choose to decide between Roots Vs Myths when comes to believing… which one is more realistic as you try to find the true meaning of life within yourself…

Regards & Thanks


Adam Goh – 15 September 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment